We are deeply sorry for your loss - the staff at Howell Funeral Home & Crematory
On August 22, 2022, God saw fit to select a beautiful flower from his garden. Bessie Speight Best departed this earthly life from labor to reward at 4:24 a.m. at home surrounded by family. God in his infinite wisdom was ready to offer her eternal rest.
Funeral service will be held Saturday, August 27, 2022 at 11 a.m. in the chapel of Howell Funeral Home & Crematory in Goldsboro. Burial will follow at Old Mill Cemetery. The family will receive friends prior to the service from 10 until 10:45 a.m. at the funeral home.
Bessie Speight Best was born September 6, 1932, in Wayne County, North Carolina to the late Anna Bryant and Elie Speight.
Bessie attended Dillard High School and later became a Health Care Technician. She spent most of her working years at Cherry Hospital where she began employment on August 1, 1963, and retired on July 31, 1993, with 30 years of service. Bessie enjoyed talking, craft work, and a devoted ministry of helping others. Most importantly, she loved God and reading His word.
Bessie accepted Jesus Christ at an early age of her life. She was a member of Best Grove Church for many years and in later years she joined The Lord’s Table. Due to her illness, she was unable to physically attend church. However, that didn’t hinder her faith and she loved TV ministry.
Bessie was preceded in death by her husband William H. Best Sr., Annie Mae Lee, Ethel Mae Green, and Stepsister Marie Jacobs.
Bessie leaves to cherish her memories:
• Daughter: Yvonne B. Goodman (William), Goldsboro, NC
• Son: William H. Best Jr., Asheville, NC
• Granddaughter: Detra B. Bickerstaff (Tim), Tyrone, GA
• Grandson, William C. Goodman III, Goldsboro, NC
• Grandson, Lorenzo Williams, Goldsboro, NC
• Great Grand Children: Sean Peele, Marietta, GA; Kwamaine Goodman, Charlotte, NC; Timothy “TJ” Bickerstaff, Tyrone, GA, Lorenzo “LJ” Williams, Jr., Lorena Williams, Zoe Williams, Damien Williams, all of Goldsboro, NC.
• Great-Great grandchildren: Kaden Peele, Marietta, GA
• Devoted Niece: Dora E. Lee, Goldsboro, NC
• In-Laws: Mattie B. Jones and Alee French, Washington, DC; Lila Robinson and Ruthie B. Best, Goldsboro, NC; Mary Ives, Portsmouth, VA.
• Special Friends: Linda Fisher
• A host of Nieces and Nephews
The family request that in lieu of flowers, please send a donation to the American Cancer Society in memory of Bessie Best. To donate, please call 1-800-227-2345 or go to their website at http://www.donate3.cancer.org
Thank you very much for your prayers and support during this time.
Professional services entrusted to the care of Howell Funeral Home & Crematory in Goldsboro.